JACK-O-LANTERN Letter Mix-Up


It was the Friday before Halloween at elementary school, where I was subbing for a teacher in a Title I room. One of the things the teacher left for me was a word scramble based on the word jack-o-lantern. I love these kinds of puzzles, and as the kids started on theirs, I gave it a go. I ended up working on it that whole day whenever I had time, and over several days afterward. Each time I started up again, I found more simple words that I had missed before. You're welcome to put into the comments any words I missed. Try not to use the ample word scramble apps available on-line (I didn't)!

You can only use the letters in the word jack-o-lantern once in each word, but if a letter appears more than once in jack-o-lantern, like a or n, which appear twice, you can use it that many times. I resisted the urge to use Scrabble-type words, which are technically words because they're in the dictionary, but are not used generally in writing or speech. Lots of 2-letter words like this. I'm sure I missed hundreds of words, and I eventually will look at the apps to learn them.

OK, here's my list so far.

J A C K O L A N T E R N

2-letter words (6)
on, an, to, no, at la

3-letter words (23)
ten, ran, lot, tan, can, jot, jar, cat, not, cot, rat, rot, ton, art, ant, are, net, elk, tea, tar, one, ace, nor

4-letter words (52)
lock, colt, talk, lack, tern, corn, jolt, jack, cola, lace, cart, lore, near, tock, note, tale, none, cone, kern, joke, tare, tent, late, lane, lark, kale, jerk, role, tale, conk, tone, coal, cane, loan, knot, clot, tore, rent, tack, clan, tank, cake, take, rake, lake, rent, cent, teal, trek, rank, jock, care

5+ letter words (23)
learn, clean, jackal, crane, lantern, alert, antler, koala, alter, altar, crate, trace, cater, locate, later, alert, talker, track, cloak, knelt, clear, clerk, cannot

Comments

Popular Posts