CCC board just doesn't get it

I went to a great board meeting the other night, where dozens of people showed up to tell the CCC board to let them help repair and maintain the current campus. I was expecting to be the only one in the gallery, and it was overflowing with people who all had the same message – fix it and get on with it.

I was disappointed with a couple of things about the article written in the Daily Astorian about the meeting. First, Kara left out some comments that I think are really important. Several people talked about the academic program at the college, and how it needed to be upgraded at least as much as the physical plant. And no knock on Kara, I was disappointed that the board, after everyone left, seemed to be unmoved by our comments. According to the article, they expressed doubts about the idea of fixing up the existing campus, and seemed to continue to be hell bent on building a new campus somewhere in Clatsop County.

I am impressed with the group forming to save the college campus. It is a mixture of local business people, builders, ordinary folks, and even academics. Their message seems to be: buy local. In other words, use the local talent, ideas and expertise, and don't go off to big-city consultants and high-filutin' ideas before checking in with the people in the community. Seems to me they could have saved an awful lot of money and people's time if they just listened in the first place. I for one am ready to stand in opposition of any moves to bring back a bond measure or move forward with new campus plans. I'm pretty certain that if the college board sticks with their present mind-set, the opposition will come out of the wings and be vocal this time. Don't do it!

Comments

Popular Posts