The Singularity Is Near

I'm in the middle of reading The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil, a book about how technology is advancing exponentially, and will soon bring us non-biological intelligence that far surpasses our own. Thanks to Tom Boucher in Seattle for bringing this to my attention. Evidently, there is quite the Singularity movement out there. It refers to the time when biological and non-biological intelligence will mesh -- according to Kurzweil, somewhere around 2040.

It is great reading about all these technological, sci-fi developments happening maybe in my lifetime. It is an antidote to all the dreary stuff I listen to all the time about how we're going downhill fast. But I wonder whether we'll ever get the chance to finish all this high-tech stuff. The way we're going recently, I'm thinking that we may annihilate each other before the Singularity happens. Too bad.

Comments

Popular Posts